July 17 is National Ice Cream Day and we wanted to share with you some fun facts about this sweet treat! (Just don’t ask us to share our ice cream.) So, grab a pint of your favorite flavor, pull up a comfy chair, and dig in.
A Scoop of History
People have been enjoying ice cream for a long time. Check out these fun, historical facts about this iconic frozen dessert.
- While there is no known inventor of ice cream, it’s been said that an ice-cream-like food was first consumed in China between 618-97 AD. (1)
- Marco Polo brought an early form of ice cream to Europe in the 1300s. (2)
- Ice cream was introduced to America in the 1700s as a delicacy enjoyed by high society. (3)
- Ice cream cones were invented at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, Missouri, by concessions vendors. (4)
- Looking to commemorate a treat enjoyed by over 90 percent of the US population, President Ronald Reagan in 1984 proclaimed July as National Ice Cream Month and every third Sunday in July as National Ice Cream Day. (5)
Sprinkling in Some More Fun Facts
Got a sweet tooth for more ice cream knowledge? Well, you’re in luck! Here are a few more free samples.
- The world record for the largest ice cream cone ever made was achieved in 2015 in Norway. It stood over 10 feet high! (6)
- New Zealanders eat more ice cream than anyone else in the world, consuming 28.4 liters (about 60 pints) of this sweet treat per year. Americans eat the second most, consuming 20.8 liters (about 44 pints) of ice cream annually. (7)
- Vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavor worldwide. (8)
- A survey of approximately 20,000 adults in the US found that chocolate is the country’s most popular flavor, with vanilla and strawberry coming in second and third, respectively. (9)
- It takes about 50 licks to finish one scoop of ice cream. (10)
And the Cherry on Top
Now that you’ve got your favorite ice cream and toppings, you just need one more thing to make your National Ice Cream Day celebration complete: the #46401 Koozie® Ice Cream Kooler. This item will help keep your ice cream cold so you can enjoy it even longer. Plus, it’s made from a high-quality, wetsuit-like material, so it folds flat – making it perfect for easy storage or mailing to customers.
For even more sweet Koozie Group products, visit www.kooziegroup.com.