If writing is your thing, then June 10th’s unique holiday is for you – it’s National Ballpoint Pen Day! And in our opinion, this humble invention deserves a special day because ballpoints have completely changed the way people experience ink.
While using a “ball point” in writing instruments has been around since the late 19th century, the patent was filed for this humble writing instrument about 80 years ago by Laszlo Biro, a Hungarian newspaper editor. Laszlo was frustrated by the time he spent filling up fountain pens and cleaning smudges, and noticed that the ink used in newspaper printing dried quickly. Working with his brother Gyorgy, the Biro brothers developed a viscous ink formula that worked with a ball-socket mechanism. This first patented ballpoint design prevented ink from drying inside the reservoir while allowing controlled flow while writing. (1)
Ballpoint Pen Fun Facts
- Thanks to Laszlo and Gyorgy, ballpoint pens are also called biros.
- Prior to the ballpoint pen, people wrote with ink and fountain pens.
- There were several patents for ballpoint pens before the one which today’s pens are based on. Many failed because they did not deliver ink reliably, clogged easily or overflowed.
- Millions of ballpoint pens are manufactured and sold every day, even though a normal ballpoint will last approximately 7 years (and approximately 50,000 words) for the average writer.
- Ballpoint pens used to only be affordable for rich citizens. Gimbel’s Department store sold ballpoint pens for $12.50 each in 1945, which is the equivalent of ~$176 today! (2)
- Promotional ballpoint pens generate 3,000 impressions throughout their lifetime and have a cost per impression as low as 1/10 of a cent.
- 89% of consumers own promotional ballpoint pens! (3)
Who’s Ready to Celebrate?
There are plenty of ways to celebrate Ballpoint Pen Day. Take a break from screen time and use your favorite ballpoint to make a doodle or send a letter to someone you care about. Practice your handwriting or even gift a fancy ballpoint pen to one of your clients.
Are you taking time to honor the ballpoint pen today? Share what you’re up to on social media with the hashtag #NationalBallpointPenDay and show us your favorite promotional ballpoint! If you haven’t found your favorite yet, visit kooziegroup.com to shop hundreds of ballpoint pen styles you’re sure to love.
ENJOYING OUR CONTENT? THINK YOUR CUSTOMERS WOULD ENJOY IT AS WELL? FEEL FREE TO TAKE THIS ARTICLE AND POST IT ON SOCIAL MEDIA, YOUR BLOG OR WHEREVER ELSE YOU MARKET YOUR BUSINESS. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO PLEASE . . . STEAL OUR STUFF!
©2021 Koozie Group, Clearwater, FL 33760.